Friday, June 5, 2009

Using VLOOKUP



Here the story:
For example, If I have a paint store then I need to know how many paint in my stock with particular color.

In the picture above, I select particular color using dropdown list then Excel will give me the answer according to data table that I have.

How does it works?
If I choose Yellow, Excel will search word "Yellow" in the Color column. If it found, Excel will look to next column
(in my case) in the same row. Excel found 7 in the next column. So, Excel give me 7. If not found Yellow in the first column, Excel will give me #N/A

How does it works (in Excel language) ?
You just type "=VLOOKUP(E4,B4:C8,2,FALSE)" in the F4 cell

where

E4 are cell that contain word that you want to search, in this example, dropdown box in E4 cell

B4:C8
are the table that contain Color column and Qty column

2
are because you need to take value in the 2nd column after excel search the first column.

FALSE
, because you need to search the exact match of Yellow not Yellowy (for example)

No comments:

Post a Comment